Friday, November 18, 2011

Double weave

For the second rug warp, i tried a double weave, which means there are two layers of warp on top of each other. I weave from one warp to the next on one side so a fold forms. Once woven, the finished fabric is unfolded to create a piece that is double in width of the loom. This allows me to weave a larger piece than my loom allows.




Here's what i learned in this first try:
-to use a rag rug shuttle instead of the canoe rattle i've been using for single weaves
-it's hard to enforce quality control when you can't even see all the fabric you're working on
-after throwing each row of weft, slide my hand between the two layers of warp to ensure i haven't goofed by weaving from one warp to the next before i get to the end

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment